RECEIVING HOLY SPIRIT BAPTISM
Everyone— please turn off your cell phones.
As you will see in this lesson Baptism in the Holy Spirit is the doorway into the miraculous life. Speaking in tongues is usually the first miracle that the new believer experiences. God wants to empower you to share the Gospel with miraculous signs and wonders. This is meant to be the normal Christian life.
- FATHER GOD PROMISED TO POUR OUT THE HOLY SPIRIT.
Joel 2:28-29, 28 “…, I will pour out my Spirit upon all people. Your sons and daughters will prophesy. Your old men will dream dreams, and your young men will see visions. 29 In those days I will pour out my Spirit even on servants—men and women alike. NLT
Luke 24:49 [Jesus said] “And now I will send the Holy Spirit, just as my Father promised. …” NLT
Acts 1:4-5 … [Jesus] gave them this command: “Do not leave Jerusalem, but wait for the gift my Father promised, which you have heard me speak about. 5 For John baptized with water, but in a few days you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit.” NIV
- JESUS IS THE ONE WHO BAPTIZES YOU IN THE HOLY SPIRIT.
John 1:32-34, 32 Then John testified, “I saw the Holy Spirit descending like a dove from heaven and resting upon him. 33 I didn’t know he was the one, but when God sent me to baptize with water, he told me, ‘The one on whom you see the Spirit descend and rest is the one who will baptize with the Holy Spirit.’ 34 I saw this happen to Jesus, so I testify that he is the Chosen One of God.” NLT
Say “Jesus is my baptizer.”
3. HOLY SPIRIT BAPTISM IS INTENDED FOR EVERY BELIEVER—THAT MEANS YOU.
Joel 2:28 … I will pour out my Spirit on all people… NIV
- John the Baptist seemed to assume that Jesus would baptize every one with the Holy Spirit.
Matthew 3:11“I baptize you with water to show that you have repented, but the one who will come after me will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire.” GNT [See Mark 1:8, Luke 3:16, John 1:33]
- The first outpouring. “They were all filled with the Spirit.” Acts 2:4
- The first outpouring on the Gentiles. “The Holy Spirit fell on all of them.” Acts 10:44
- The promise is to everyone who ever believes. Acts 2:38-39 … you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.
- 39 The promise is for you and your children and for all who are far off — for all whom the Lord our God will call.” NIV
- Acts 19:2 The first question Paul asks the Ephesians is, “Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you believed?”
This teaches us two things: 1. You are not automatically baptized in the Holy Spirit at salvation. 2. If it was Paul’s first question, it must be very important.
Say: “Intended for Everyone!” Say: “Holy Spirit baptism is for everyone.” “Holy Spirit baptism is for me.”
- THE PURPOSE OF BAPTISM WITH THE HOLY SPIRIT IS TO GIVE YOU POWER TO MINISTER.
Acts 1:8 But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes upon you. And you will be my witnesses, telling people about me everywhere—in Jerusalem, throughout Judea, in Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.” NLT
Acts 4:31 After they prayed, the place where they were meeting was shaken. And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and spoke the word of God boldly. NIV
- SALVATION, WATER BAPTISM AND HOLY SPIRIT BAPTISM ARE ALL SEPARATE FOUNDATIONAL
EXPERIENCES THAT ARE MEANT TO OCCUR CLOSE TOGETHER.
Acts 8:12, 14-17, 12 But now the people believed Philip’s message of Good News concerning the Kingdom of God and the name of Jesus Christ. As a result, many men and women were baptized. 14 When the apostles in Jerusalem heard that the people of Samaria had accepted God’s message, they sent Peter and John there. 15 As soon as they arrived, they prayed for these new believers to receive the Holy Spirit. 16 The Holy Spirit had not yet come upon any of them, for they had only been baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. 17 Then Peter and John laid their hands upon these believers, and they received the Holy Spirit. NLT
- The Holy Spirit “had fallen upon none of them.” 8:16
- They “prayed for them that they might receive the Holy Spirit.” 8:15, 17
- The Scripture records, “and they received the Holy Spirit.” 8:17
6. SPEAKING IN TONGUES IS FOR ALL BELIEVERS.
Acts 2:4 All of them were filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues… NIV
Acts 10:44 … the Holy Spirit fell upon all who were listening to the message. … 46 For they heard them speaking in tongues…
Acts 19:6 When Paul placed his hands on them, the Holy Spirit came on them, and they spoke in tongues and prophesied. NIV
Say: “Speaking in tongues is for me.”
7. PERSONAL VALUE OF SPEAKING IN TONGUES.
- God speaks to me through tongues. Isaiah 28:11 For with stammering lips and another tongue He will speak to this people, NKJV
- Tongues allows me to speak (mysteries) to God— Pray about things that are beyond my human understanding. 1 Corinthians 14:2 For anyone who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God. Indeed, no one understands him; he utters mysteries with his spirit. NIV
- Speaking in tongues makes me strong.
- 1 Corinthians 14:4 He who speaks in a tongue edifies himself, NIV
- When I speak in tongues my spirit is praying directly to God. 1 Corinthians 14:14 For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays. NIV
- The Spirit prays through me when I do not know how to. Romans 8:26 the Spirit helps us in our weakness, for we do not know how we should pray, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with inexpressible groanings. NET
- When I pray in the Spirit I build up my faith. Jude 20 But you, dear friends, build yourselves up in your most holy faith and pray in the Holy Spirit. NIV
- I need to continually be praying in the Spirit. Ephesians 6:18 Pray in the Spirit at all times and on every occasion. Stay alert and be persistent in your prayers… NLT
Say: “Speaking in tongues makes me spiritually Strong.”
Discussion Question: What do you understand about the importance of being baptized in the Holy Spirit? What do you think it will do for you? Are you ready to receive?
8. RECEIVE THE HOLY SPIRIT.
- Ask someone you trust who speaks in tongues to pray with you to receive.
Acts 19:6 Then when Paul laid his hands on them, the Holy Spirit came on them, and they spoke in other tongues and prophesied. NLT
- When you realize the Holy Spirit’s presence, begin in faith to speak in tongues.
Galatians 3:2 Did you receive the Spirit by the works of the Law, or by hearing with faith? NASU
- If you don’t receive right away, find a place to be alone wait on God praising Him out loud until you receive.
Luke 24:49 “And now I will send the Holy Spirit, just as my Father promised. But stay here in the city until the Holy Spirit comes and fills you with power from heaven.” NLT
- The Holy Spirit enables you to pray in tongues. Acts 2:4 All of them were filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit enabled them. NIV
9. TRUST THE FATHER THAT WHEN YOU ASK FOR THE HOLY SPIRIT THAT’S WHAT HE WILL GIVE YOU.
Luke 11:11-13, 11 “You fathers—if your children ask for a fish, do you give them a snake instead? 12 Or if they ask for an egg, do you give them a scorpion? Of course not! 13 So if you sinful people know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him.” NIV
- YOU WILL KNOW FOR SURE THAT YOU HAVE BEEN BAPTIZED IN THE HOLY SPIRIT WHEN YOU SPEAK IN TONGUES.
Acts 10:44-46, 44 Even as Peter was saying these things, the Holy Spirit fell upon all who were listening to the message. 45 The Jewish believers who came with Peter were amazed that the gift of the Holy Spirit had been Poured out on the Gentiles, too. 46 For they heard them speaking in tongues and praising God. NLT
Now is the time for you to be baptized in the Holy Spirit. God is going to fill you with the Holy Spirit and His power now. Trust the Father’s promise to you and have faith and be filled with the Holy Spirit as we pray for you to receive.
Let’s pray together now for everyone here to receive the baptism in the Holy Spirit.